There are literally hundreds of Scripture references that talk about the poor, the widow, and the orphans. My challenge is simply this: find the references in the Bible, read them in the context they are intended, and do something with what you hear from the Spirit.
My suggestion is to simply meditate on one verse at a time; just one phrase. Pray that the Spirit will reveal to you the truth of His message, speak that reality into your life this very day, and give you the wisdom and ability to do something about whatever He brings to mind.
Your response might prompt you to send a text message, make a phone call, visit someone, or write a song. Whatever the case, listen quietly, then take action.
My goal is to provide a number of posts to launch from this page to guide your time with the Father. My prayer is this will help you see how serving those in need is more than just a good thing to do — it is mandated in Scripture, honored by the Father, and demonstrated in how Jesus conducted His earthly ministry.
Jump to 8:57 for a key concept:
If you think you have a relationship with [God] and you don’t have a relationship with the poor and the oppressed, you’re mistaken. If you don’t have a relationship with the poor and the oppressed, you don’t really have a relationship with me.
References to Consider
Follow the links below. Comment on the post if you feel so inclined, but most importantly, invest time considering how you should consider the least, the lost, and the lonely.
- My Religion – James 1:26-27
- The Poor Will Always Be With You: Be Openhanded – Deuteronomy 15:11
- Practice Hospitality – Romans 12:13
- Dishonoring the Poor – James 2:5-6a
- Oppressing the Poor – Zechariah 7:9-10
- Embracing the Outcasts – Mark 2:17
- Serving those in Need: Holy Responsibility – Job 31:13-23
- Learn to do right – Isaiah 1:17
- God will never forget the needy – Psalm 9:18
- Show Love by Giving to Others – 1 John 3:17
- Be blessed: Invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind – Luke 14:13-14
- Spend Yourself on Those In Need – Isaiah 58:9b-11
- Remember the Poor – Galatians 2:10
- Be Kind to the Needy – Proverbs 14:21, 14:31, 19:17